On 26 June 2014 new data was loaded on the international OBIS portal, the total number of records stands now at just over 38.85 million, from 1,557 individual data sets.
Statistics on the database holdings are as follows (figures in brackets represent the previous database versions holdings):
- Total number of records: 38,854,189 (37,717,662)
- Total number of records for living marine taxa: 38,487,415
- Number of records identified to species: 29,913,065 (28,961,825)
- Number of records identified to genus: 34,109,634 (33,017,008)
- Number of valid species: 145,544 (145,810)*
- Number of valid marine taxa: 157,484 (157,718)*
- Number of valid marine species: 114,901 (115,148)*
- Number of valid marine genera: 27,322 (27,314)
- Number of datasets: 1,557 (1,456)
* These taxonomy numbers have decreased because in this harvest the OBIS Taxonomy table has been updated with the latest information in WoRMS, and in a number of cases species have now become identified as synonyms of other species. So data quality has increased as a result.
The total number of names in the OBIS Taxonomy table has increased in this harvest, but these synonyms point to a smaller set of valid taxonomic names than in the previous version. Even so, after this harvest there are 414 valid marine species added to the database that we did not have before!