Your team will:
- Research the biology of two species of seahorses
- Research the geographic distribution of the two species of seahorses
- Research the human uses of the two species of seahorses
- Research sustainable harvesting methods that have been proposed by Project Seahorse
- Develop a plan to study the effect of one sustainable harvesting method
- Create a presentation to secure funding for your study
Divide the tasks 1 though 4 among your group members so that each person has one research task. Work together to complete tasks 5 and 6.
Task 1. The Biology of Hippocampus barbouri and Hippocampus comes
The Question: Why are the populations of these two species of seahorses so sensitive to current fishing practices?
Task 2. Geographic Distribution of Hippocampus barbouri and Hippocampus comes
The Question: Where are these two species of seahorses found?
Create a map showing the geographic distribution of these two species using the OBIS Portal. At the portal, select the "Search Data" tab and then "Click search and browse taxa". Enter the scientific name of the seahorse you will be mapping, Hippocampus barbouri and/or Hippocampus comes. "Click to search and browse datasets". When the database search is complete, select "Update map" Once the map appears, you may change its orientation by using the menu above the map. If you would like to save a map click on "Show results" then click on "Download" then click WMS", "Show Background", and "Save as Image".
To find the names of the location where these species have been collected, use the scientific name search at Fishbase. How does geography explain the occurrence of these species?
Task 3. Human uses of Hippocampus barbouri and Hippocampus comes
The Question: What uses do humans have for seahorses?
To learn more about human uses of seahorses visit the Watershed Radio website. Learn more about the economic importance of seahorses. How has demand for seahorses affected the population? Are there other factors that have placed stress on seahorse populations?
Task 4. Sustainable Harvesting Methods
The Question: What are some possible sustainable harvesting methods?
The harvesting of seahorses is economically important to small-scale fisheries in the Philippines. Learn more about the fisherman's viewpoint. Learn more about the conservationist's viewpoint. An international conference was held to discuss protecting seahorses as a sustainable resource for the future. Additional information about research projects may be found at the Project Seahorse website.
Task 5. The Plan
Since you are a team of research scientists, your plan will need the following parts:
- Research question- State the question that your research project will answer.
- Background information- Provide information that someone would need to know in order to understand your plan. Be sure to cite sources of information. This is the place to put information about seahorse biology, geographic distribution, human uses of seahorses, and sustainable harvesting methods.
- Hypothesis- A statement that describes the expected outcome of your project
- Materials- What you will need to conduct your research or implement your project and why these are essential
- Procedure- List the steps you would take to conduct your research
- Why your team thinks the plan will work- Link this to seahorse survival and sustainability of the seahorse populations. Show a cause and effect relationship.
Task 6. The Presentation
Now it's time to sell your plan. There's only so much money to go around. Will your presentation convince the foundation to fund your research? Your presentation should include all the elements of your team's plan. Use visual aids such as maps, pictures, charts, tables, and/or an outline of key points. The presentation may be done with the use of a computer-based presentation program or overhead transparencies. Each person should be responsible for presenting at least one part of the plan.